The third Alamo Grammar School originally had a bell tower. It was remodeled several times over the years. The tower was removed and the bell placed in the outside yard, presumably because of concerns the tower might fall in an earthquake. In 1904 there were 61 children enrolled, in 1908 -- 68 and in 1911 -- 50. Astrid Olsson Humburg taught in this school in the late teens and early 1920s.
In 1921, after fundraising by the Alamo Community Club, a large playground apparatus was built, including swings, sand box, basketball and handball courts (leveled), plus a baseball diamond mapped off. But the school began to show its age.
In an article titled Ancient School at Alamo May Be Replaced Soon in a local paper, county physician Dr. C. R. Blake talked to a meeting of Alamo grammar school district residents. He
excoriated them for permitting their school to remain in its present condition. He told them that their school was a relic of an age now half a century gone; that it was unsanitary, an imposition on the children, and a disgrace to the district.
To get a drink of water, the children have to walk half a block from the dilapidated building to a 39-year old pump, which they have to prime and struggle with its wheezy old handle before they get results. Then they drink from a rusty tomato can. May 19, 1924
The school was extensively remodeled in 1924. Alamo residents discussed joining with the new Danville Union District but voted against it. Some of the parents sent their children to the new Danville school.
About 1934 the cloak room was torn out and front porch enclosed to make another classroom. Efforts to pass a bond issue for a new school were defeated in 1935, getting a WPA loan was attempted and plans were made, but nothing was built.