Highway 21 to Interstate 680 - June 18, 2020
Steve Minniear, local historian and author presented photos and maps about the road in the museum's first virtual event.
Whether it is called San Ramon Valley Road, Danville Blvd., North Main Street or even Contra Costa Blvd., it was for a long time Highway 21. And between the 1930s and the 1960s, it was the only way to go north and south through the San Ramon and Amador Valleys. Steve talks about the “only road through town” and how it shaped farm life, regional business and eventually the suburbs.
Women Win the Vote in California & the Country - August 20, 2020
Beverly Lane, Museum Curator and Board Vice President, presented a program that featured a video of the current Women Win the Vote exhibit at the Museum filmed by Tory Taylor and a PowerPoint presentation on the history of woman suffrage
California's First People: Then and Now - September 24, 2020
Correction - The Seunen tribe lived in present day San Ramon. The Saclan tribe lived in the Lafayette area.
Alamo Cemetery Tour & Program - October 22, 2020
Jana Haertl, museum volunteer, took participants on a virtual tour of the Alamo Cemetery.
Established in the 1850's the cemetery is the final resting place to the many early families who established and built this valley. Jana shared stories of the history of the Alamo Cemetery and families such as Humburg, Baldwin, Stone, Wood and Bollinger to mention just a few.
This little jewel is tucked away at the bend of El Portal just off Danville Blvd on the border of Alamo and Danville. You may have passed it on your way to Hap Magee Park without giving it a second thought. It’s actually a peaceful resting place to stroll through and admire the headstones of many pioneer families in a park-like atmosphere.
Adolph Sutro Program - November 19, 2020
Diana Kohnke of the Sutro Library gave a presentation on Adolph Sutro and the Library he left to the city of San Francisco. Her presentation discussed how this German immigrant made a fortune in the Comstock Lode. He became one of the largest landowners in San Francisco was elected mayor of San Francisco, planted his own forest, and, started a library to name a few of his accomplishments. To say this man led a full and interesting life would be an understatement.
Niles Canyon Railway - December 17, 2020
Henry Baum, President of Niles Canyon Railway, covered a variety of topics about the railroad and the role it has played in the development of our community.
Henry shared the amazing railroad history of our valley. He also talked about the lost town of Radum and how the Iron Horse Trail was involved with the Transcontinental Railroad to name just a few of the interesting topics covered.
The Secret History of San Ramon - January 21, 2021
Bill Clarkson, the former mayor of San Ramon and noted local historian presented an informative and entertaining virtual presentation on the Secret History of San Ramon.
He spoke about the only graveyard in San Ramon. Would you believe it dates back to 1858? Are you aware of a visible fault line in San Ramon or where the boundary oak is located? These and many more interesting facts and stories were covered in Mayor Clarkson's virtual presentation.
The History and Future of the Sunol Water Temple February 18, 2021
Carla Schultheis, the Watershed and Environmental Improvement Program Manager for the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, spoke on the history and future of the Sunol Water Temple.
There are only three water temples in the United States. One of them is located in Sunol CA. It was commissioned by William Bowers Bourn, the fabulously rich owner of the Empire Gold mine and the Spring Valley Water Co. The Spring Valley Water Co. had a monopoly on supplying water to San Francisco.
Hear about the critical and interesting role the Water Temple has played in the development of the Bay Area. In addition, learn about the exciting new role it will be playing during the 21 Century.
Camp Parks: When War and National Security Came to the San Ramon and Amador Valley
March 18, 2021
Steve Minniear, historian for the town of Dublin CA and past president of the Dublin Historical Society, presented Camp Parks: When War and National Security Came to the San Ramon and Amador Valleys.
Today the area around Camp Parks is a growing residential community bordering a BART station. It is hard to imagine that at one time its boundaries spanned from San Ramon to Dublin and played a major role in both our local history and national history. Since 1942, hundreds of thousands of US armed forces personnel lived and trained at this base. It is fair to say Camp Parks played a key role in WW2 involving the pacific theater.
John Muir: California's Most Famous Resident
April 15, 2021
Garrett Dailey, an attorney and noted authority on John Muir, presented John Muir: California's Most Famous Resident. Mr. Dailey is a resident of Alamo and a part-time resident of Scotland. Mr. Dailey developed and taught a course on John Muir at the University of Edinburgh OLL as well as lectured and spoke with various groups and organizations. In this one-hour presentation, you will learn about why John Muir was officially voted California's most famous resident. You will follow John Muir's life from Scotland to migrating as a child to America. His education and quest to save nature and the beauty it holds. Beyond being voted California's most famous resident, you may likely come away thinking of Muir as one of the world's most interesting men.
Soldiers Memorial Monument
May 20, 2021
In celebration of Memorial Day, John Mercurio from the Contra Costa Historical Society presented a program titled "Sheriff Veale and the Pursuit of a Worthy Memorial" about the Soldiers Memorial Monument.
Driving through Pleasant Hill it is hard to miss the Soldiers Memorial, standing 45 feet in height and weighing 45 tons. Oh yes it is also almost in the middle of Monument Boulevard. Its story begins with Contra Costa County Sheriff Richard Veal who was thankful that his son had returned safely from the Great War, WW1. Many other Contra Costa County residents were not so lucky. So, using his prominent position in the county he set out to raise funds to erect a memorial to those that died. The result of his efforts is the Soldier’s Monument in Pleasant Hill.
Moving the Depot
June 17, 2021
25 years ago this month the Lopez Brothers home movers arrived in Danville to move the depot which is now the Museum of the San Ramon Valley. Its new home would be the corner of Railroad and Prospect. The museum which was originally a Southern Pacific Depot was located a block further south at the corner where Lunardi's is located today.
Ed Best, a longtime museum volunteer, former president of the museum, and a key member of the team that was involved in the move and restoration gave a first hand eye witness presentation of that eventful day. It is fair to say that moving an old building in disrepair is not for the faint of heart. See pictures and a short video of the actual move as well as hear about some of the surprises the move encountered.
The Story of the Old Mint in San Francisco
Thursday, July 15
*Due to technical difficulties, the virtual program was not recorded. We apologize if you planned to watch the recording of this virtual program.
Katherine Petrin, an Architectural Historian and Preservation Planner in private practice in San Francisco, California, her hometown as our speaker. Katherine currently serves as the Project Manager for the planning phase of the U.S. Old Mint Restoration Project in collaboration with the California Historical Society and the Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development.
To say that the Old Mint is an interesting and historic building would be an understatement. Consider the following:
- The Mint was the built in 1874. It was the first Federal building in San Francisco. The construction of the mint was a large step to make Californians feel part of the nation. It was a source of great pride to the young state.
- The mint exceeded all expectation as can be seen in 1837 when the US produced $83M in gold and silver coins. $50M of which came out of the SF mint.
- In 1906, it was the only financial institution to survive the earthquake. It opened (under armed guard) 3 days later. This saved the city from economic chaos.
- In the 1930's, 30% of the United States gold reserves were held in the mints ground floor safe.
Katherine discussed the future of this historic irreplaceable building.