Twentieth Century Ranchers of Forest Home Farm
Numa and Minnie Boone
Travis and Ruth Boone
The Boone name was made famous by frontiersman Daniel Boone in the 1700s. Several of his descendants came to California after the Gold Rush and landed in Danville and San Ramon. Numa Boone was one of them who, with his wife Minnie Thorne, bought land and built a classic Dutch-style house in San Ramon along the county road in 1900.
Numa Sims Boone was the second child of James and Sara Boone who came to Danville for good in 1865. James and his brother Wellington had originally traveled to California in 1852, then moved back to Missouri in 1861. Boone was born in 1867, educated locally, attended high school in Oakland and ranched with his father on the home place and then for himself.
He and Minnie Thorne Boone were married on August 8, 1899. Her parents, Captain Charles and Mary Thorne lived in Santa Clara where she was born in 1863. The Boones pooled their money and initially bought 200 acres in San Ramon, part of the original Amador Rancho and Russell Ranch land. They built their two-story, 22-room house in 1900.
Prominent in the community and successful in his agricultural enterprises, he owned 250 acres and worked several thousand more. Over the years the Boones produced grain, hay, tomatoes, pears, walnuts and raised various kinds of stock. Numa Boone was also President of the San Ramon Valley bank for ten years. He was a Granger, a member of the San Ramon Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West and the Woodmen of the World.
Their son and daughter-in-law, Travis and Ruth Boone, owned a large spread adjacent to Bishop Ranch, planted primarily to walnuts and tomatoes. Their rectangular-shaped ranch extended across the valley from the wooded hills on the west to the SP railroad on the east. They had a flag stop next to the railroad. Boone did extensive custom grain harvesting in the Diablo and Tri-Valley and invented a truck-mounted device which efficiently knocked down walnuts and was used for date-picking in other parts of the state.
In an interview Ruth Boone recalled that, after bachelor ranch hands from the ranches were paid, they would often enjoy themselves gambling at a place called Connie’s in San Ramon village. She remembered Connie Young telling her “I made a fortune from the men at the Boone and Bishop Ranches.” And she said he probably was right.
Today the Boone Ranch headquarters is the 16-acre Forest Home Farms Historic Park, a San Ramon park which focuses on the San Ramon Valley’s agricultural history and includes the restored 1877 Eliza and David Glass House. The entire park is recognized as historic by its placement on the National Register for Historic Places.
There are several interpretive panels on the grounds of this historical park, recognizing the Boones, Indians and the Glass family and house.
Histories of Contra Costa County (1917, 1927), Museum of the SRV archives, interview with Ruth Boone