In 1895 Danville Grammar School District voters supported a $5000 bond issue to create a new, classic school house on Front Street. And Danville citizens had high expectations for it.
A Contra Costa Gazette article on Aug. 31, 1895 stated
We…want our school house to be one of the most prominent
buildings in the valley, located on such a street and facing
in a direction to attract attention from any transient traveler
or tourist through our valley. Let everybody know we have
an interest in education by looking at the building.
Dedicated in 1896, it had a bell tower, an elevated class room with a second room behind the steps. Teacher A. J. Young taught in the old and new school houses from 1883 to 1900. A Contra Costa Gazette article on Sept. 1, 1896, commented on the transition.
Mr. P. Madson has commenced to move our old school house off from the school lot and Mr. A. J. Young has led his little band into the new building, which is very much more comfortable… a second teacher for the lower grades is already being talked of.