#14 Tassajara Grammar School Site
The Tassajara Grammar School now dedicated with a plaque was the second Tassajara school. It was built in 1889 and closed in 1946. A classic one-room school with a bell tower and flag in front, over the years it has served as a location for meetings, a polling place and a site for picnics. The building was saved and restored by members of the Tassajara community, led by the all-volunteer Tassajara Fire Protection District.
In 2012 it was deeded to the Museum of the San Ramon Valley. After much effort by museum volunteers, the school house was placed on the National Historic Register in 2014. Each spring, a one room school program for third graders is provided by the Museum of the San Ramon Valley.
Dedicated August 14, 1999 at its location on 1650 Finley Road. SRV Historical Society members are shown admiring the new plaque. Former student and rancher Gordon Rasmussen is the person in the cowboy hat.
For more information about the school, click here.